Archive for October, 2010
You never know what’s going to happen at the Houndstooth. Last week during the Tennessee game, Johnny Musso stopped by to say hello.
I, for one, am thrilled that LSU is a 2:30 kick-off. These night games are killing me. Don’t forget that there are three rooms at the new Tooth. The back rooms are considerably less crowded, and a little quieter, too.
Start thinking about holiday orders for your Roll Tide Chicago t-shirts now! Out-of-town Bama fans really love them, especially if they have visited our fair city. Order here: http://rolltidechicago.com/?page_id=335
Today’s fun UA fact: The Greek population has grown right along with university enrollment. At 3,500 in 2003, it is now at 6,500 students who are in a sorority or fraternity. That’s nearly 30 percent of the total undergraduate population. (I know, it seems like more, doesn’t it??)
That’s all this week, folks. Happy Halloween!
Marc’s Random Notes
- There is nothing I enjoy in sports than watching Alabama beat Tennessee. I don’t care that the Vols stink or are on their 3rd coach in as many years. Back in PS era (pre-Saban) I would say that if we beat the Vols and lost all the other games I’d still be happy; that isn’t true anymore but man I love beating those guys.
- Reason number 129 why having Nick Saban is a good thing: Unlike Derek Dooley he won’t be comparing the Tide to the German’s in WWII. I really don’t care what message he was trying to make I’m always confused by coaches comparing football to war when our country is in a war. And of course Les Miles once again bungles the final seconds of a game even when it could mean beating Auburn.
- I know I was a little off on my Florida vs. UK upset prediction this year but you heard it here first: Ole Miss will beat Auburn this weekend. This is a trap let down game if I’ve ever seen one. I think the fact that Ole Miss practices vs. a mobile QB all season helps. If teams can force Newton to throw they have a shot.
- Did you hear that the Big 10 or 11 or 12 whatever they are going to call themselves rejected the names Bo and Woody for the two division breakdown? They said that they didn’t want to disrespect the rest of the teams by naming the two divisions after only two schools and since they didn’t breakdown the schools by geographic basis the north south or east west is out. I suggest the two divisions be called We Can’t and the other should be called Count since starting next year there will be 12 schools in the conference yet they are still calling it the Big Ten. [The Big 12 is keeping its name, too, even though it will only have 10 teams. They should switch names and really confuse everybody. -Laura]
- Trivia question of the week: Name the only Texas school out of the Big 12 that is currently ranked in the top 25. Answer at the bottom… [Oh, I know! I don't even have to look. -L]
- A small BCS rant this week since it is getting tiring talking about it. #1: of the undefeated teams left in the country all but good ole Boise play on the road this week. All of them play either average or ranked teams. Boise played on a Tuesday night vs. LA Tech. #2: Bob Stoops admitted after Saturday that he punted with his team down 8 late in the game because he didn’t want Mizzu to get the ball back in the red zone and score because some people would look at it and see a blow out. If I have to listen to Kirt Herbsteet say again that Boise can play and beat anyone on any given day again I will punch my TV. Of course Boise or any team can play with and beat anybody but the fact that they wouldn’t go through the Big 10, 12 Pac 10 or SEC undefeated each year is the point he doesn’t bring up. (I think they would win the ACC and the Big East 8 out of 10 years.) Just a dumb system…
A new segment on Random Notes called Quick hits:
- When the most popular costumes for Halloween are a meat dress and the cast of Jersey Shore our country and the creativity of people are going down hill.
- If the fans of Mississippi State can’t figure out when to clang the Cowbells (during timeouts, dead ball time etc) and when to put them away (during play, before the snap ect) maybe the brand of student and fan needs to grow up a little. Of course we are talking about Mississippi State fans…
- Sony announced this week that they are stopping production of the walkman in Japan. My first thought was people still use walkmans and my second was I used to make a mean mix tape. If you ask me nicely I’ll make you one…
- James Cameron announced that he is writing not one but TWO sequels to Avitar which is great news since I enjoyed the first one. But they aren’t going to come out until 2014 and 2016. Doesn’t that sound like a looong time from now?
- Speaking of sequels there are rumors out that Top Gun II is going to start filming. Unless Val Kilmer is in it as the Ice Man I want no part of that movie.
- Since one of my favorite shows Greek is going off the air after this year; count me as excited that TBS is launching their own dumb college show. Laura, I will reserve a spot on the couch for you at the Brafman house to watch each Tuesday night with me. [Can't wait. -L]
- With the world series going on we once again are subjected to Tim McCarver and Joe Buck each game. 99% of the time I could care less who is broadcasting the game but good lord if I have to listen to McCarver state the obvious one more time I might have to punch the TV with my other hand.
- If you answered Baylor you get a kiss from Laura the next time you are at the Tooth. Can you believe with Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech that the Baylor Bears are the only Texas school ranked from the Big 12?
Have a great bye week don’t break anything.
We had a small crowd at the Tooth last week, and I’m convinced it’s because of the late kick-off. Let’s pick it up this week and have a good showing. It is the Third (er, Fourth) Saturday in October, after all.
Today’s fun UA fact: The University now has an official tartan: http://uanews.ua.edu/2010/10/uas-official-tartan-announced/. The design will be recorded in the International Tartan Index and maintained by the Scottish Tartans Authority and the National Tartan Registry. I don’t know what that means, but it sounds important. Even more important, the new design will be incorporated into merchandise. So if you are burnt out on houndstooth, you can buy plaid instead.
Anybody seen the 2011 football schedule? Aside from Florida (who will bounce back) and Auburn on the road, it is NOT scary.
Why You Should Get Your Membership
- Because your membership supports our chapter activities, like our annual summer speaker and flag football team. We’d like to try additional activities, too, in the coming year, so send us your ideas! Only one catch…we’ll only accept ideas from people who are paid-up members
- Because a portion of your membership goes toward our scholarship fund.
- Because you can sign-up in person at the Tooth or Another Round or online at www.rolltidechicago.com.
- Because we have the best logo and the best t-shirts (free with membership!).
- Because Bama people all over the country talk about Roll Tide Chicago and what a great job we’re doing. Really! Every time somebody goes to Tuscaloosa, or Bama bars in other cities, they inevitably hear, “Oh, the Chicago chapter is awesome.” Read Marc’s first bullet point below if you don’t believe me.
- Because I don’t know if it’s possible to win the “best out of state chapter” award two years in a row, but I want to find out.
Featured Raffle Prizes of the Week
- Bottles of Dreamland BBQ sauce.
- The original classic Roll Tide Chicago t-shirt, gray with “ChicAgo” in crimson.
- In all, we have over 40 prizes. So your odds of actually winning something are very good! Buy tickets at the Tooth or Another Round. 75% of proceeds support our scholarship fund, and 25% support our MS Walk Team.
This Week in Chicago
It’s our annual Tennessee pinata party this Saturday! Kick-off is at 6 p.m., and we’ll be busting apart a UT football helmet pinata at halftime. There are rumors of a BBQ special being cooked up, too. The Houndstooth will also have the sound on for the Auburn/LSU game in the afternoon, so you can make it an SEC day!
See you all there. I’ll be the one trying not to get into a fight with drunk, condescending, non-Bama fans. (Thanks go out to my new pals, Russell and Patrick, for having my back last week.)
P.S. Marc’s Random Notes
- I was down in T-Town for the Ole Miss game and represented the chapter at the annual alumni meeting. At the this meeting, I was honored to receive our plaque awarded tochapters that had successfully raised enough money to sponsor a scholarship. While that was very nice, what happened after the awards presentation was even better. I must have been approached by 10-15 other chapters from around the country to #1 thank us for being so strong and involved in Chicago and #2 to tell me that they have heard nothing but GREAT things about the chapter, the Tooth and what we do up here. I know I speak for Laura and the rest of the board when I say (again) that we couldn’t do it without all of you. We have come a long way since Ollies Bar on Diversey 5 years ago.
- Now onto the game: I’m sure it was the same on TV, as it was in person but my GAWD what a borning game. Maybe it was the ungodly kickoff time or the fact that Ole Miss really stinks, but in a game that should have been a big bounce back game for the Tide I thought they played so-so once again. It was like watching the Bengals with the false starts, not stopping third and long, and missing field goals. The Bungles are on MNF football in two weeks; watch how they play and watch how the Tide is currently playing. It is the same and trust me friends that is NOT A GOOD THING. If I sound like I’m beating a dead horse I still am baffled by the play calling and the lack of a run game. On the plus side the defense played pretty well and if the Tide can make it through a horrible Tennessee team I think the bye week couldn’t come at a better time.
- I don’t care that he only caught one or two balls or that he dropped an easy catch, how tough of a guy is Julio? It’s one thing to play with a broken hand of you’re the place kicker but to try and play as a wide out is pretty impressive.
- If you haven’t been to campus in a few years I encourage all of you to check it out. I lived in Paty or is it Pady Hall my freshman year and back then there was nothing between it and the Ferg. Now there are more buildings than I can count, and the entire side of campus is HUGE! And the stadium is something else. It is so big, and while it never got really loud for this game I can only imagine what it is going to be like for the Iron Bowl.
- You know you are getting old when: as I was walking down sorority row looking at the lawn decorations (ha-ha) I couldn’t get over how young the students looked. Also, when you are listening to classic rock radio and Love Bites by Def Leopard comes on you have to think: is that really classic rock?
- Most of you who know me know that I can’t stand two things: #1 is recruiting news and rumors. When they get to Alabama then I care about them. #2 is the BCS, and now #3 and rising is people who tell me about their fantasy teams. I don’t play fantasy football or baseball. The reason is I root for two teams, well three teams (the Reds, the Bengals and whoever is playing the Cubs). Really, is there anything worse than having to listen to people talk about fantasy sports? If there is I don’t know what it is.
- Is it time to stop the fire “fill in the blank” coach web site? It started with Florida and Ron Zook but now there is one to fire Urban Meyer. As a Bama fan I would like nothing better than for Florida to do this but come on, really Florida fans…
- This week’s installment of things that I never thought I would be doing as a dad. Defrosting milk. Standing over the sink with a bag of frozen milk while Maya is crying is not something I ever thought I would be doing.