Archive for November, 2010
Roll Tide, Chicago!
Today’s fun UA fact: Congratulations to Greg McElroy, who is a Rhodes Scholar regional finalist. His interview is November 20. Good luck, Greg!
Kick-off this week is 2:30 p.m. Join us at the Houndstooth or Another Round, and don’t forget to buy your raffle tickets on your way in.
This week and next are your best chances to buy raffle tickets (because who’s coming out to watch Georgia State, really, and the Iron Bowl, as you know, is Thanksgiving weekend). So what are you waiting for? Tickets are $5, 3 for $10, etc. 75% of proceeds benefit the scholarship fund, and 25% benefit the MS Walk. We have a serious haul of prizes this year. A small sampling:
- Alabama garden gnome
- National championship tumblers
- Canvas pictures of Bear Bryant, Nick Saban, and Mark Ingram
- Houndstooth purse and scarf
- Dreamland BBQ sauce
- Classic Roll Tide Chicago t-shirts
- Signed footballs from Shaun Alexander, Nick Saban, and Gene Stallings. Plus a football signed by Alexander, Jay Barker, and several other former players. And a mini football signed by Bo Jackson. Footballs galore!
- Tyrone Prothro autograph (he remains one of my favorite Bama players ever)
- We Are Cubs (photo book by our very own Will Byington)
- Second City tickets
- Various gift certificates, including Groupon, Carol’s Cookies, Roly Poly, Joe’s on Weed, and Tiny Lounge
- Prize pack to Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, or Ringling Brothers
- Chicago Bulls signed basketball
- Derrick Rose picture, bobble head, and signed jersey
- Joakim Noah jersey
- Ernie Banks signed jersey
- Chick-Fil-A gift basket
Seriously, on the Chick-Fil-A gift basket alone, you should buy some tickets.
Other Ways to Support Our Chapter
- Get your membership or buy a t-shirt.
- Donate directly to our chapter scholarship fund. Just fill out the attached form and mail it to the address listed. These donations are fully tax-deductible! (As long as you follow the instructions on the form and make the check out to the Alumni Fund and mail it to the University.) The form is also available for download on our website.
- Shop at Bromberg’s in Birmingham: http://shop.brombergs.com/hailtothenationalchampions.aspx. Enter Chicago Alumni Chapter into the “additional information” section in Part 2 of the checkout process.
- Shop at Game Day Girl Stuff http://www.gamedaygirlstuff.com/alabama-merchandise.html. Use the code “CH” at check-out.
On a Serious Note
The sad news keeps coming in college football this year: Eric LeGrand at Rutgers, Declan Sullivan at Notre Dame, Nick Bell at Mississippi State. Sometimes, in the thrall of football fandom insanity, it is easy to forget what really matters, and how tenuous life is. So this weekend, keep those men, their families, and their friends in your thoughts (I’ve listed some resources below as well). And be thankful to the young men who play this game for us. And remember that it is just a game.
P.S. If you are so inclined, you can…
…Leave a get-well message for Eric LeGrand or donate to his fund at http://scarletknights.com/believe/
…Donate to the Declan Sullivan Memorial Fund at http://www.declandrummsullivan.org/
…Donate to the Nick Bell Memorial Fund at http://www.mstateathletics.com/
Sorry, folks, no Random Notes today. Marc was traveling on business this week.