Archive for September, 2011
Roll Tide, Chicago!
For today’s UA fun fact, more enrollment! Applications for this year’s freshman class at UA were up over 2005 since 2002. At the same time, the university has become far more selective, with 53% of applicants admitted this year as opposed to 85% in 2002.
The stadium was loud last week, and it got louder with every three-and-out in the second half. Our offense still has a few kinks, but wow, that defense is speedy, especially when you see it in person.
For those of you who haven’t been to T-town recently, the corner of McFarland and 15th looks very strange. All of the rubble there has been cleaned up, but now it’s just barren, like they forgot to develop it.
This week at the Houndstooth
We’ll be having a small, one-day-only raffle at the Houndstooth this week, in addition to our squares fundraiser. We also have a new batch of t-shirts, so get your membership! Kick-off is 7 p.m. I challenge all of you to fill the bar wall-to-wall with Bama. These night games can be suspiciously full of Big Ten types.
Fun with geography
Did you know that the distance between Tuscaloosa and Chicago is only 60 miles more than the distance between Tuscaloosa and College Station, Texas? With geography like that, maybe we should start advocating for University of Illinois join the SEC.
Crazy Auburn fans
Okay, that might be redundant. But I was reading the Birmingham News last Sunday, and they post selected comments from their website. I quote: “If Chizik doesn’t do something soon, I will be all for him getting fired!”
Really?!? The writer goes on to give good examples about letting a really, really bad team (FAU) gain that many yards, but still–really?!? You want Chizik fired. Okay. You know, history may show that Chizik is a decent coach who caught lightening in a bottle one year. Five years from now, or even three years, it may be obvious that he’s not a great coach, he just got lucky. But now? Four games after you won the national freakin’ title?? I don’t even think Bama fans are that crazy.
4th and Goal by Marc
Is there anything better than walking around Chicago on a Saturday night after your football team lays the wood to a rival? After the game I was out to dinner and still in my Bama gear and random people gave me a couple of roll tides. More so than rooting for a pro team something about your college team winning gives you an extra spring in your step right? It is amazing to think that our running game might be better this year than it was last year. I love watch Richardson and Lacey chew up the yards on the ground. And I can never ever remember a college defense hitting a team harder than our defense did to the Hogs offense. Now the Tide goes to the Swamp to take on the Gators. I think that Florida is still a year away from being FLORIDA again so I like the Tide in this one. Tide 28 Florida 17.
I believe with OSU falling out of the top 25 last week the Tide now has the longest current streak in the country dating back to 2008. That ladies and gents is why Bama went out and got Coach Saban.
With that in mind I think I know who our coach in waiting will be in a few years. Dabo Sweeny over at Clemson. If you have a chance make sure to check out his post game speeches on the field.
Not even with the amazing (to look at) Minka Kelly is it worth watching Charlies Angles. What a terrible show
This week in things I didn’t know until I was a dad. How many funny looks you get when you dress your kids in cheerleading outfits and then parade them around the city. On Saturday it was Bama and on Sunday it was the Bengals. A woman at Jewel said to me you are really into football aren’t you? I said just starting her early because it’s never too early right?
See ya at the tooth on Saturday
Roll Tide, Chicago!
UA fun fact: Enrollment has reached an all-time high of 31,747 students. The freshman class includes 182 National Merit Scholars, up from 128 last year.
Both of our locations are getting more popular by the week, so arrive early if you want to ensure yourself a table for this week’s 2:30 p.m. kick-off.
3369 N. Clark
5141 Main St.
You can sign-up for your chapter membership at www.rolltidechicago.com. All memberships include a free t-shirt. This year’s shirt isn’t pictured on the website yet, but it will be soon.
If you sign-up online but live in the Chicago area, we hope you’ll come pick up your t-shirts at the Houndstooth or Another Round. We like to get to know as many of you as we can! If you can’t make it to a viewing party, we will mail t-shirts at the end of the season.
Odds and Ends
If you have any interest in college sports at all (and I’m guessing you do), you owe it to yourself to read this article in The Atlantic magazine. Regardless of how you may feel about paying college athletes, it’s fascinating. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/
Is it me, or does LSU look really, really scary?
I was going to do a rant on conference realignment. Regular readers of these emails know that I rarely rant about current sporting events; I figure y’all have an entire internet to read, who cares what I have to say? However, this ridiculous merry-go-round was too good to pass up. But then everybody decide to stay put (for now), so my ranting will have to wait. Something tells me I’ll get another chance. In the meantime: didn’t all of the rumors and accusations flying around seem like high school? Or Jersey Shore?
Word has it that it will be low 80s and sunny at kick-off on Saturday. I’ll be in T-town for the game, so I’ll give a full report (including any news about the tornado recovery efforts) next week.
4th and Goal, by Marc
I was at a wedding on Saturday night (who gets married on a Saturday during football season) and worse this was a Big Ten version of the house divided – she went to Ohio State and the groom went to Michigan. So not only did I miss the game but I had to hear Hail to the Victors and Hang On Sloppy at the reception. You’d think that they would know better. Anyway I saw zero of the Tide game. You know it’s a lousy game when ESPN on the college football recap show plays one highlight 45 minutes into the show. No one got hurt that was the key…
This week the real season starts. Saturday should be a great test for our boys. I think our defense and ground game wins the game but if we get behind early the Tide is in trouble. If Coach Saban has been hiding the offense a little this would be a good week to break it out. Still I like our chances and think that the Tide wins 28-21.
- I was dead wrong about LSU they are very very good, but I think I’m spot on about Auburn. They will beat Ole Miss and that is the last SEC game I see them winning this year. After this week I expect them to lose 4 in a row. I know we’ll all be crying over that.
- What is more amazing? That Vandy is 3-0 for the first time since the 40’s or that Illinois if they win on Saturday will be 4-0 for the first time since the 50’s?Sometimes we take winning for granted.
- Does anyone care other than Chris Berman and Tom Jackson that they have been doing the NFL Blitz on Sports Center for 25 years? ESPN sure likes to celebrate ESPN don’t they?
- In this week’s installment of things I didn’t know until I was a dad. I knew I was going to be changing dirty diapers and as a parent you expect that. What I wasn’t expecting is what happens once your kids start eating real food. Holy cow, who knew so much could come out of a person so small?
Roll Tide, Chicago!
This week’s fun fact: The University of Alabama is ranked 31st among public universities and 75th overall according to U.S. News and World Report’s annual “Best Colleges” rankings for 2012. This is Alabama’s highest ranking ever.
6:30 p.m. kick-off this week against the Mean Green of North Texas. Um, do I need to say more about this game? No? Good. We will be at the Houndstooth and Another Round, so come on out and join us.
Your membership helps support our chapter activities, including our scholarship fund. It also makes us look good to the university. You can buy or renew your membership on our website: http://rolltidechicago.com/?page_id=3. Individual memberships are $20 and include one free t-shirt. Family memberships are $30 and include two free shirts. We’ll hold your shirts for you at the Houndstooth and Another Round; if you don’t pick them up during the season, we’ll mail them when the season is over.
I don’t know how many of you out there have been with our chapter since its humble beginnings in 2005, but do you remember Ollie’s? That was our first viewing party bar, in Lincoln Park. We usually had about 20 people there, 50 for the big games. Everybody knew everybody else. It was so quaint, when I think about it. 90% of the friends I’ve met in this chapter are from the “old days.” Look at us now. Our chapter is the envy of out-of-state chapters everywhere. But I do miss the ability to mingle and meet new people, and I think others do, too. So at this week’s viewing party, make friends with at least one new person.
My favorite thing about our chapter’s current incarnation is how many out-of-towners we get every week. Last weekend, we had all kinds of people from Atlanta, in town for the Bears-Falcons game. It’s fun to meet them and hear how much they love our city and our viewing parties.
This week’s of 4th and Goal is below. For those of you who haven’t been around since 2005, Marc was the chapter president from 2007-09. At the end of his weekly emails, he always had his “random thoughts.” When I became president, he asked me if I wanted him to keep doing them. I said, “sure, why not?” So that’s why it’s there. In case you were wondering.
4th and Goal, by Marc
As I was leaving the Tooth after the game on Saturday my Penn State friend Amanda says “Man we (Penn State) sure looked tired down the stretch didn’t they?” And during the game my buddy Scott texted me with “Bama plays boring football but they sure hit and play hard don’t they?” That about sums up Saturday didn’t it? When Alabama is at its best they play the type of football we saw on Saturday. Run the ball spread the field on offense a little here and there, run the ball and on defense hit the heck out of the other team at all times every time! You can take your Oregon or Boise offense or the spread down at Florida I’ll take boring and grind it out every time.
- Did you realize that the game Saturday in Happy Valley had more fans than any game in the history of Alabama football. Something crazy like 111,000+, more than any Bama/Vols game. Amazing..
- Are you like me do you love going into places that have a choose one: white-, black-, red-out where all the fans dress in the same color. I find it gimmicky and LAME. I enjoy Bama coming in and beating teams that do it more than just a normal win. You know what gimmick I like? Winning…
- If two teams are average at best yet play a very entertaining last 5 mins. Does that qualify as an instant classic or just two average teams that couldn’t cover Don Hudson now? Sure the Michigan/ND game was exciting but my god was the defense terrible.
- By deciding to beg out of Cincinnati and retire instead of playing for the Bengals Carson Palmer lost $675,000 on Sunday. Must be nice
- The Eagle was fine but man this doesn’t get old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOHnELqzkDM
- And finally things I didn’t know until I was a Dad: #1 how much the 9/11 tributes would get to me. When parents started reading the names of the their kids who died it really hit me hard. And #2 when your wife gets mad at you for going to the bar to watch the Tide play (even though she knew you were going) and “punishes” you by saying she is going out for the day on Sunday leaving you at home to watch your kid, which I enjoy doing in the first place, and by extension NFL football you know you are doing something right.