Archive for January, 2012
Roll Tide, Chicago!
Today’s UA fun fact: There are more than 100 active alumni chapters in 25 states.
Let’s get right to it, shall we?
If you’ll be in Chicago…
The Houndstooth will be open starting at 3:30 on Monday. The Dark Horse, across the street from the old Tooth, will serve as our “overflow” bar. The Houndstooth is offering a table reservation service for a fee; with the service, one person has to be there by 6 p.m., but the rest of your table can arrive at any time. The fee is, ahem, $100 for a table of four. Still interested? Contact Jeanna at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-440-0990.
The Another Round in Downers Grove is open starting at 11 a.m.
If you’re going to the game…
The New Orleans Alabama Alumni Chapter is having a block party on January 8, and a pre-game tailgate and viewing party (for those of you without a ticket) on the 9th. All of these activities will take place at The Rusty Nail, 1100 Constance Street. You can find out more by looking up the chapter’s Facebook page.
The National Alumni Association is sponsoring the Bama Bowl Bash on January 8. Details and tickets here: http://collegesportsevents.com/
And, just for me, have a bourbon at Jean Lafitte’s Blacksmith shop, a Bloody Mary at Molly’s-on-the-Market, fried chicken at Fiorello’s, and a victory brunch at Mother’s.
4th and Goal, by Marc
Happy new year everyone. Is it me or does it feel like about 6 months since the Iron Bowl? I’ve been wrong all season on picking games so this is all I’m going to say: Win or lose, all I want to see Monday is Bama playing to their strength – run the ball, work the clock, play smart, and most importantly play for field position. If LSU can beat us by beating our defense, tip your cap to them and congratulate one of the best National Champs ever. So with that said I just can’t see Les Miles winning 3 times in a row Bama 24, LSU 17
We once again are going to try and take a group picture before the game. Please email me at email@example.com if you are going to the game.
- Is this not grounds for divorce….I finally, after calling and begging every connection that I know, was able to get 2 tickets to the game at face value, I call Shana, who after asking where my seats were, says “Great, on StubHub they are selling for 2000 bucks.”
- I love the Tide, you love the Tide, but is anything worth paying 2000 plus to go see?
- For the second time in 3 years, both the Tide and the Bengals are in the post season. No stat in sports is more surprising.
- Erin Andrews reported that 75,000 people without tickets will be in NOLA is weekend. I for one can’t wait to see the craziness that Bourbon Street will become.
- I love watching the Little Ten take it on the chin in the bowl games. But I think Michigan is going to be very good next year.
- Do you ever step back and watch Derek Rose and ask yourself, how does he get to the basket like that?
- Finally, in things I didn’t know until I was a dad: Two weeks ago I was forced, by a vote of 1 to nothing, to buy an SUV. So I now have a car big enough to carry the Bama O-line to and from practice, with enough room to provide fruit slices in a cooler for a post practice snack.
If you can’t make it to the game in New Orleans, plan on watching it with the Chicago Alabama Alumni Chapter at the Houndstooth in Wrigleyville or Another Round in Downers Grove.
Game kick-off is at 7:30 pm CT on Monday Jan. 9, 2012
We expect to make both our bars the best place to be outside of New Orleans so come on down and join in on the fun!
Membership to the Chicago Alabama Alumni Assoc. is only $20 (single & includes 1 t-shirt) or $30 (family & includes 2 t-shirts).
Downer Grove will have a special appearance of the Big AL (the Inflatable Big AL)– make sure to give him a big ROLL TIDE!!
See you at The Houndstooth in Wrigleyville or Another Round in Downers Grove and Roll Tide!