Archive for August, 2012
Roll Tide, Chicago!
UA fun fact: More than 1,990 young women attended UA’s 2012 Rush Week. Bid Day for 2012 was held for the first time ever in Bryant Denny Stadium on August 19th; UA reported that 1,687 women received bids, setting a new school record. One of those bids belonged to our own 2012 RTC scholarship recipient, Keely Nolan – “I love it here and I pledged Kappa Kappa Gamma! I cannot wait for everything this semester!”
Both of our locations will be busy this Saturday for Alabama’s kick-off against Michigan, so arrive early if you want to ensure yourself a table for this week’s 7 p.m. kick-off.
3369 N. Clark
5141 Main St.
Both Houndstooth and Another Round will have the new 2012 Roll Tide Chicago memberships and T-shirts for sale before, during and after the Alabama vs. Michigan game Saturday night.
$25 White Membership – Includes 1 T-shirt
$40 Crimson Membership – Includes 2 T-shirts
$60 Houndstooth Membership – Includes 4 T-shirts
$30 for a 2012 Roll Tide Chicago T-shirt
Payments will be accepted via cash, credit or check.
The Houndstooth will have a squares board (2 if needed) for the game. Be sure to get your squares and support the Roll Tide Chicago Scholarship fund and possibly win some cash!
Another Round will be holding a silent auction this Saturday for 2 tickets to the Alabama vs. Ole Miss game in Tuscaloosa on Sept. 29th. They will also be holding their version of squares (pull-tabs). Paul and Kim will be at Another Round 1 hour before kick-off.
SEC Flag Football Tournament
Thank you to those who came out this past Saturday for the SEC flag football tournament. We are recruiting for the 2013 SEC Flag Football team; spring practice starts in April. We need a few good men AND women, signup today. Florida took home the SEC Flag Football Tournament trophy for 2012.
Alabama’s MVP for the tournament was:
Casey Hopcraft & Matt Wingard
Check out RollTideChicago.com for the updated web page and scrolling RollTideChicago Twitter feed!
If you are a member of Facebook Don’t Forget to join our Chicago Area University of Alabama Alumni Association group to stay up-to-date on what is going on in Chicago:
Roll Tide and see you Saturday at The Houndstooth or Another Round!
4th & Goal
It’s 4th of July, X-Mas Hanukkah, and your birthday all rolled into one. It’s kickoff week. By this time next week we’ll know if the Tide is up for the challenge of history or will we be wondering how the Tide lost to Michigan. Having grown up in Ohio I have a deep seeded dislike for Michigan even going so far as to root for Notre Dame once a year when they play Big Blue. One of my favorite college football memories since moving to Chicago was watching all of the Michigan fans leaving Duffy’s on Diversey about 10 minutes after they lost to App. State a few years back. So I will take more delight than most when the Tide lays the whooping on them that we all know is coming. A couple of quick notes on the game:
- D Robinson the Michigan QB is used to doing his thing vs. the likes of Purdue, Indiana and Northwestern. I have a feeling he isn’t going to be able to run as far or as fast vs. our defense.
- I will shed a tear when our offense takes the field and for the first time in what seems like 10 years no one named Ingram or Richardson will be in the back field. But with that said..
- I am really excited to see the new offense that we bring out. While all of you know I am 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of guy I think AJ will air it out a little more this year.
- Nick Saban doesn’t lose to anyone when given 8 months to prepare.
- Did you hear about the school in Oklahoma that made a kid turn his Michigan shirt inside out because they don’t allow college shirts other than from schools in Oklahoma? I think it is more because Michigan’s colors are ugly and they were making the other kids upset.
- For those of you that don’t get SI here is a great story on how Coach Saban has changed college football: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/08/14/sabanization-of-college-football/index.html
- My company puts on 2 events a year at Cowboys Stadium and the building has told my co-workers that the ticket for this game is/was harder to get than when the Super Bowl was there a few years back. And for those of you going, you will not believe how HUGE the stadium is. They say everything is bigger in Texas and boy they ain’t lying. My guess is you will spend more time watching the game on the jumbotron than you will actually watching the game. Also know that there is nothing around the stadium other than the express way, some fast food joints and a couple of strip malls. If you plan on tailgating beforehand bring your stuff with you.
Three more quick hitters non Bama addition:
- Are you as tired as I am with ESPN talking about the New York Jets and a certain former Florida QB? I think in order to get that much time on Sports Center you should you know win something, anything…
- If you’re not on Twitter you should be. And before you say “I don’t care about what Paris Hilton or Snooki had for breakfast know that Twitter is way better than following those fools. Sports, politics, entertainment you name it you can follow it. And you don’t have to Tweet either. If you like staying up on current events hop on. And if you want to follow me I’m Brafy14
- If there is a bigger rip off than NFL pre-season games I have yet to find it. This weekend the Bengals play the Colts. The Bengals starters are supposed to play all of one or at most two series. Do you realize that season ticket holders are forced to pay full price to watch that?
Finally, in this week in things I didn’t know until I was a Dad:
Maya was sick for really the first time this week with Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. I have come to realize there is really nothing more sad and pathetic than your child being sick, well other than being fan of Auburn!
Saturday can’t get here fast enough RTR
Roll Tide, Chicago!
UA fun fact: University of Alabama students are committed to community service: In the 2010-2011 academic year, more than 20,000 UA students completed more than 780,000 hours of community service with more than 120 community partners. Maybe RTC should be doing community service in 2013?
We are now less than two weeks away from the Crimson Tide kicking off their 2012 season in Dallas, Texas to take on our northern neighbor Michigan. We want to make sure you join Roll Tide, Chicago (new or a renewing member) the new membership form is on RollTideChicago.com and will be at The Houndstooth and Another Round all season. Your 2012 RTC Membership you will get this ChicaAgo t-shirt:
If you order your membership/T-shirt on RollTideChicago.com let us know if you will be picking up your T-shirt at The Houndstooth or Another Round. First option at either location to pick up your T-shirt will be Sept. 1st. If you are heading to Dallas and want to wear your Roll Tide Chicago shirt we will have them next weekend at the SEC Chicago Flag Football Tourney at Diversey Fields.
New Membership Levels
$25 White Membership – Includes 1 T-shirt
$40 Crimson Membership Includes 2 T-shirts
$60 Houndstooth Membership Includes 4 T-shirts
SEC Flag Football Tournament
2012 Chicago Area SEC Alumni Flag Football Tournament is Saturday!
Date: Saturday, August 25th, 2012
Time: 9:30am – 2:00pm
Location: Diversey Harbor Fields. The fields are located behind the driving range, close to Diversery and the lake in Lincoln Park.
Format and Rules: 8v8 Coed – All teams will get two games guaranteed then single elimination playoffs.
After Party @ Duffy’s Tavern: $20 a person (includes a dry fit white t-shirt and two hour draft beer/food package). Walking distance from the field.
Interested in being on Alabama’s Team? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or join our event via Facebook - Let’s bring home the championship this year!
If you are a member of Facebook Don’t Forget to join our Chicago Area University of Alabama Alumni Association group and keep an eye on the Official Website to stay up-to-date on what is going on in Chicago:
4th & Goal
Can you believe it? Football is almost here. Our long wait to defend the crown is almost over. Did anything happen this offseason? I have to admit that with my Reds in first place most of the summer football has snuck up on me. That was until the SI college football preview issue hit the newsstands with AJ on the cover. When I got home yesterday and opened the mail I was surprised to find that MICHIGAN was on the cover. I know it’s the new regional cover thing that SI does but it got me fired up for Sept. 1, who wants to look at Michigan on the cover of anything other than the program for the Holiday Bowl…
Let’s do some quick hitters end of summer addition
Do you realize that if you were a freshman at the Capstone 4 years ago you would have seen 46 wins? Read that again 46 wins just an amazing run.
Count me as someone that is happy that Penn State didn’t get the death penalty. I think what they got is far worse. I know two Penn State alumni and the stink that is on the program and the shame that they felt about what happened is far worse than if the football team went away for a couple of years.
The Honey Badger might not fear anything a drug test being #1 on the list. There is dumb, and then there is failing your 3rd or 4th drug test and getting yourself kicked off the team.
You all know how much I HATED the BCS so now I can’t wait for the 4 team playoff to start in a couple of years. I know what you are all saying Hey Marc it worked in our favor last year why change it? The answer is because college football which we all love so much will be 10 times better with the “final 4” and championship game. Plus it will give the SEC more to crow about when we win it every year.
I loved the Olympics I watched at work, I watched at home at night, I watched on the weekends. But one thing about the Olympics cracked me up every time I saw it. The fact that in every picture of Prince William and Henry and my girl the Princess Cate they had a credential with their picture on it. Now if the games were taking place here in Chicago or in Brazil I could understand them being forced to wear a credential but in London? Who doesn’t know who these two are in London? Can you imagine being the guard at the door checking tickets these two walk up and I’m sorry your highness but I need to see your credential. Made me laugh just thinking about it
Can you imagine running as fast as Usain Bolt? Or jump as high as our gymnast’s or come through in the clutch like the woman’s soccer team? Maybe we only think of these people once every 4 years but I sure enjoy watching while they are on.
One final note on the Olympics leave it to a Florida Gator (Ryan “Big Yap” Lochte) to talk the talk without really walking the walk. I guess Tebow wasn’t on his side in London in a couple of races.
This week in things I didn’t know until I was a Dad. How funny your kids are and what they pick up on once they can talk. Maya and I were sitting on the couch watching the 9th inning of the Reds/Cubs game on Saturday afternoon when I smelled something a little funky so I turned to her and said “Maya do you have a dirty diaper?” and she turned to me and with not a trace of teasing me or kidding said “No Dadda gas” That’s my girl everyone…
Congrats & Roll Tide to Mike McMahon of Roll Tide Chicago (burbs crew) who won the 3rd annual Chicago SEC Golf Tournament for the 2nd time (we hear there was a tie and 2 winners for the lowest score). One win we can add to the Crimson Tidal Wave here in Chicago….let’s repeat on the 25th with the Chicago SEC Flag Football Tourney victory.
Roll Tide and Congrats Mike!