Roll Tide, Chicago!
- I realized that I forgot to include my one UA-non-football item in last week’s email. So this week, you get two:
- The University of Alabama is older than the city of Chicago. UA was founded in 1831, the city was incorporated in 1837.
- The UA debate and forensics program has won 16 national debate championships. (Hey, I didn’t say my UA facts would be interesting to everybody.)
- Bonus fact: If you are an active member of the National Alumni Association, your high school student can get a personalized tour of the campus. The program is called Discovering Bama: http://alumni.ua.edu/discovering-bama
This Week in Chicago
There is apparently some confusion as to “Laura vs. Laurel.” No, it’s not a cage match. To clarify: I am Laura, president of our fine organization. Laurel is the vice president; she is the one who arranges the drink and food specials with the Houndstooth, and she is the cheerful one at the front table signing you up for your membership. We are easy to tell apart. I have long blonde hair, very straight. Laurel has shoulder-length brown hair, flippy at the ends. And now, to introduce the rest of the band. They all work very hard to make ours the best out-of-state chapter in the continental U.S. (I can’t speak for Alaska and Hawaii).
- Me: President. I write emails.
- Laurel Stepp: Aforementioned vice president. Get your t-shirts and shakers from her. But don’t call them “pom poms” or she won’t give you one.
- Marc Brafman: Immediate past president. Says he’s a new dad, but none of us have actually seen the kid, so I’m not convinced.
- Amy Henderson: She’s in charge of t-shirts – ordering them, keeping them stocked at the Tooth, storing the extras in her garage.
- Matt Anderson: Creator of our award-winning website. Sends out these emails that you love.
- Paul Brown: Keeps our membership roster up-to-date, so we know who you are and where to find you.
- Bill Watt: Treasurer. If you don’t pay your dues, he’ll look you up on Paul’s membership list and track you down.
- Kim Landego: The lady in the suburbs. She would like you to know that the houndstooth pattern is on clothing everywhere now (it’s true, I got houndstooth shoes at Payless), even Victoria’s Secret.
- Ben Milam: Created the awesome ChicAgo logo, designs our t-shirts every year.
- Kick-off is 2:30 this Saturday. There will be door prizes this week! And there’s a Cubs game at noon, in case that affects your travel plans. (Anybody still watching baseball in this town? I mean, really?)
Random Notes from Marc
- Reason #1098 that I am not a TV producer: I was a little surprised that the #1 team in the country wasn’t on a more widely watched basis this past weekend even vs. a scrub team like Duke. But ABC must have known the game was going to be a blow out and that the Wisconsin/Arizona State game was going to be a good one.
- I’m a little nervous about this week’s game because while the numbers are great, don’t you get the impression our defense isn’t as good as it will be later in the year? But our ace in the hole is Coach Saban. Until he gets beat by an SEC coach (not named Urban Meyer) I am convinced he will out -coach whoever is on the other side of things. Final score: Bama 42 Arkansas 28, in a game closer than the score.
- Speaking of Urban, it was nice of him to comment on the rash of arrests last week at Florida finally. 30 in his time there and without Saint Tebow to look at, the dirt is beginning to rise up in Gainesville. It will only get more dirty as the Gators lose, which I think will happen three weeks in a row starting with the first huge upset of the year when UK beats them this weekend in the Swamp. Your heard it here first…
- You have to hand it to Auburn and Clemson on Saturday night. That was one of the hardest hitting non-conference games you will ever see.
- I’m a lot late to the game on this one, but Friday Night Lights has started re-running on Laura’s favorite channel ABC Family. If you haven’t watched this show check it out. Guys, Minka Kelly is worth watching by herself.
- Has anyone in the sports world had a worse run the last two weeks than Reggie Bush? First he has to hand back his Heisman, then he breaks his leg on MNF.
- As much as I could care less how the Bears do, it is fun to live in Chicago when they are going well isn’t it?
- Did you see the study that came out last week about woman and what scents they favored? #1 was vanilla across the board, but what I found funny was that in Houston the #2 scent was BBQ meat. Which explains a lot about Texas women doesn’t it?
- In this week’s installment of things I didn’t know until I became a dad, if Maya is acting up when she gets older I am going to follow this couples lead with their son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRty9niJxe0&feature=player_embedded