Roll Tide, Chicago!
Happy March Madness, everyone. As somebody who grew up watching Missouri Valley Conference basketball (yes, that’s true), I can tell you that Bama’s in for a tough first-round game. Creighton is under-seeded. But the Tide does play great defense, so who knows what might happen? Bama plays at 12:40 p.m. on Friday. Come out to the Tooth and watch! (What, you’re working Friday?)
Today’s UA fun fact: The Forensic Council won its 19th national championship last week. And no, that doesn’t have anything to do with CSI or autopsies.
Volunteer at Student Recruitment Events
Our fantastic regional recruiter, Bethany Forrest, is looking for some help with spring recruitment events. This is a great opportunity for suburban folks to help out the chapter, and there’s several Chicago fairs as well, so you city dwellers aren’t off the hook, either. Your help would be really appreciated; look at this list – can you imagine attending all of these by yourself?? If nothing else, volunteer so Bethany has somebody to talk to besides high school students. To volunteer, contact Bethany directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3/19 at North Central College (Naperville, evening)
3/20 at De LaSalle (Chicago, day)
3/20 at DePaul (Chicago, evening)
3/22 at Lane Tech (Chicago, evening)
4/3 at Harper College (Palatine, evening)
4/4 at Lyons Township (LaGrange, evening)
4/9 at Barrington (Barrington, evening)
4/10 at St. Charles North (St. Charles, evening)
4/11 at Niles West (Skokie, evening)
4/12 at Allstate Plaza (Northbrook, evening)
4/19 at Regina Dominican (Wilmette, day)
4/19 at Hinsdale South (Darien, evening)
5/1 at Navy Pier (Chicago, sign up for morning, afternoon, or evening shift)
More info coming soon about other volunteer opportunities with the chapter. And A-Day is just around the corner!
4th and Goal, by Marc
Good Day Sunshine…Good Day Sunshine…
Can you all believe this weather? Isn’t the main reason we all live in Chicago is for days like today? 77 in March I’ll take it.
- I’m not as big a college hoops fan as I used to be but is there anything better in sports than this Thursday and Friday? I’ve participated in and run a couple of pools for as long as I can remember and I have only won it one time. So don’t come looking to me for answers.
- Unfortunately I don’t like the Tide making it out of the first round. Creighton can really shoot the ball and the Tide can’t. But you have to love how Coach Grant has turned the program around and I think the future is very very bright.
- If UK wins the title do the fans at the Superdome start the SEC SEC SEC cheer? And if not, why not?
- Speaking of bright future, since the last time we spoke Coach Saban has turned in yet another impressive recruiting class. Let’s hope the next Trent, Julio or Mark Barron are freshman this year.
- Forget the two national titles in the past 3 years. To me the most amazing thing Coach Saban has done is get guys ready for the NFL. This year the Tide could have 5 guys drafted in the 1st round. It was just a few short years ago when Bama didn’t have a single player drafted, period.
- 22 Days until Opening Day for baseball.
- Long live Katniss Everdeen (if you don’t know who that is, you will soon enough)
- And last but not least in things I didn’t know until I was a Dad: how hard it is to watch your little baby grow up into a little toddler. It’s hard to explain but watching Maya go down the slide by herself the other day at the park I was both excited and sad. They do grow up fast.