Roll Tide, Chicago!
UA fun fact: More than 1,990 young women attended UA’s 2012 Rush Week. Bid Day for 2012 was held for the first time ever in Bryant Denny Stadium on August 19th; UA reported that 1,687 women received bids, setting a new school record. One of those bids belonged to our own 2012 RTC scholarship recipient, Keely Nolan – “I love it here and I pledged Kappa Kappa Gamma! I cannot wait for everything this semester!”
Both of our locations will be busy this Saturday for Alabama’s kick-off against Michigan, so arrive early if you want to ensure yourself a table for this week’s 7 p.m. kick-off.
3369 N. Clark
5141 Main St.
Both Houndstooth and Another Round will have the new 2012 Roll Tide Chicago memberships and T-shirts for sale before, during and after the Alabama vs. Michigan game Saturday night.
$25 White Membership – Includes 1 T-shirt
$40 Crimson Membership – Includes 2 T-shirts
$60 Houndstooth Membership – Includes 4 T-shirts
$30 for a 2012 Roll Tide Chicago T-shirt
Payments will be accepted via cash, credit or check.
The Houndstooth will have a squares board (2 if needed) for the game. Be sure to get your squares and support the Roll Tide Chicago Scholarship fund and possibly win some cash!
Another Round will be holding a silent auction this Saturday for 2 tickets to the Alabama vs. Ole Miss game in Tuscaloosa on Sept. 29th. They will also be holding their version of squares (pull-tabs). Paul and Kim will be at Another Round 1 hour before kick-off.
SEC Flag Football Tournament
Thank you to those who came out this past Saturday for the SEC flag football tournament. We are recruiting for the 2013 SEC Flag Football team; spring practice starts in April. We need a few good men AND women, signup today. Florida took home the SEC Flag Football Tournament trophy for 2012.
Alabama’s MVP for the tournament was:
Casey Hopcraft & Matt Wingard
Check out RollTideChicago.com for the updated web page and scrolling RollTideChicago Twitter feed!
If you are a member of Facebook Don’t Forget to join our Chicago Area University of Alabama Alumni Association group to stay up-to-date on what is going on in Chicago:
Roll Tide and see you Saturday at The Houndstooth or Another Round!
4th & Goal
It’s 4th of July, X-Mas Hanukkah, and your birthday all rolled into one. It’s kickoff week. By this time next week we’ll know if the Tide is up for the challenge of history or will we be wondering how the Tide lost to Michigan. Having grown up in Ohio I have a deep seeded dislike for Michigan even going so far as to root for Notre Dame once a year when they play Big Blue. One of my favorite college football memories since moving to Chicago was watching all of the Michigan fans leaving Duffy’s on Diversey about 10 minutes after they lost to App. State a few years back. So I will take more delight than most when the Tide lays the whooping on them that we all know is coming. A couple of quick notes on the game:
- D Robinson the Michigan QB is used to doing his thing vs. the likes of Purdue, Indiana and Northwestern. I have a feeling he isn’t going to be able to run as far or as fast vs. our defense.
- I will shed a tear when our offense takes the field and for the first time in what seems like 10 years no one named Ingram or Richardson will be in the back field. But with that said..
- I am really excited to see the new offense that we bring out. While all of you know I am 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of guy I think AJ will air it out a little more this year.
- Nick Saban doesn’t lose to anyone when given 8 months to prepare.
- Did you hear about the school in Oklahoma that made a kid turn his Michigan shirt inside out because they don’t allow college shirts other than from schools in Oklahoma? I think it is more because Michigan’s colors are ugly and they were making the other kids upset.
- For those of you that don’t get SI here is a great story on how Coach Saban has changed college football: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_staples/08/14/sabanization-of-college-football/index.html
- My company puts on 2 events a year at Cowboys Stadium and the building has told my co-workers that the ticket for this game is/was harder to get than when the Super Bowl was there a few years back. And for those of you going, you will not believe how HUGE the stadium is. They say everything is bigger in Texas and boy they ain’t lying. My guess is you will spend more time watching the game on the jumbotron than you will actually watching the game. Also know that there is nothing around the stadium other than the express way, some fast food joints and a couple of strip malls. If you plan on tailgating beforehand bring your stuff with you.
Three more quick hitters non Bama addition:
- Are you as tired as I am with ESPN talking about the New York Jets and a certain former Florida QB? I think in order to get that much time on Sports Center you should you know win something, anything…
- If you’re not on Twitter you should be. And before you say “I don’t care about what Paris Hilton or Snooki had for breakfast know that Twitter is way better than following those fools. Sports, politics, entertainment you name it you can follow it. And you don’t have to Tweet either. If you like staying up on current events hop on. And if you want to follow me I’m Brafy14
- If there is a bigger rip off than NFL pre-season games I have yet to find it. This weekend the Bengals play the Colts. The Bengals starters are supposed to play all of one or at most two series. Do you realize that season ticket holders are forced to pay full price to watch that?
Finally, in this week in things I didn’t know until I was a Dad:
Maya was sick for really the first time this week with Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. I have come to realize there is really nothing more sad and pathetic than your child being sick, well other than being fan of Auburn!
Saturday can’t get here fast enough RTR